U.S. Judge Appointed By A Real Republican George W. Bush Temporarily Blocks Trump’s Travel Ban

People line up in the rain outside of the US Supreme Court in Washington

A brave and patriotic  U.S. judge on Friday temporarily blocked President Donald Trump’s ban on travelers and immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim countries after Washington state and Minnesota urged a nationwide hold on the executive order that has launched legal battles across the country.

 

U.S. District Judge James Robart in Seattle ruled that the states had standing to challenge Trump’s order, which government lawyers disputed, and said they showed their case was likely to succeed.

trump-mocks

“The state has met its burden in demonstrating immediate and irreparable injury,” said Robart. Trump’s order last week sparked protests nationwide and confusion at airports as some travelers were detained. The White House has argued that it will make the country safer.

 

Washington became the first state to sue, with state Attorney General Bob Ferguson saying the order was causing significant harm to residents and effectively mandates discrimination. Minnesota joined the suit this week.

 

After the ruling, Ferguson said people from the affected countries now can apply for entry into the U.S.

 

“Judge Robart’s decision, effective immediately … puts a halt to President Trump’s unconstitutional and unlawful executive order,” said Ferguson. “The law is a powerful thing — it has the ability to hold everybody accountable to it, and that includes the president of the United States.”

 

Gillian M. Christensen, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security, said the agency doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

 

Federal attorneys had argued that Congress gave the president authority to make decisions on national security and immigrant entry.

 

The two states won a temporary restraining order while the court considers the lawsuit, which aims to permanently block Trump’s order. Court challenges have been filed nationwide from states and advocacy groups.

 

Up to 60,000 foreigners from the seven majority-Muslim countries had their visas canceled because of the executive order, the State Department said Friday.

 

 

Lawyers for Washington state said another hearing was expected in the next few weeks.

Written By: Tommy Lightfoot Garrett
Photographs are Courtesy:  AP
Follow us on Twitter @HighlightHwd or @LightfootinHwd