‘House of Cards’ Production Suspended Indefinitely After Kevin Spacey Harassment Claim

DSC08323.ARW

Production on House of Cards has been suspended indefinitely following the sexual harassment claim made against star and executive producer Kevin Spacey.  “MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” the streaming giant and producer Media Rights Capital said Tuesday in a joint statement.

hoc_510_unit_01328r_-_h_2017

The suspension comes two days after Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp alleged in a BuzzFeed News article that Spacey made sexual advances towards him when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26. Spacey immediately offered his “sincerest apology” to Rapp via Twitter and used his statement on the matter to come out as a gay man for the first time. The latter move was criticized by many in Hollywood as well as GLAAD, who accused Spacey of using his coming out as a way to “deflect from allegations of sexual assault.”

 

On Monday, Netflix and MRC issued a statement saying they were “deeply troubled” by the allegations. Executives from both companies traveled to Baltimore on Monday to meet with the cast and crew of the political drama “to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported,” the statement continued. Spacey was not on set at the time, as was previously scheduled.

 

In a statement Monday, Willimon called the accusation made against Spacey “deeply troubling,” but also tried to defend Spacey’s conduct during their time working together. “During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off,” he said. “That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage.”

Written By: Tommy Lightfoot Garrett
Photographs are Courtesy: Netflix
Follow us on Twitter @HighlightHwd or @LightfootinHwd