Three dogs in North Carolina died within hours of exposure to a toxin from a blue-green algae bloom in a local pond.
The owners reported that after one dog started acting strangely, the other dogs soon started seizing and showing signs of liver failure.
All three died just after midnight Friday.
Blue-green algae is most common in the summer. It is capable of producing harmful toxins to humans, pets and fish.
The Virginia Department of Health says samples collected at the end of July show harmful levels in several areas in Virginia, including near Lake Anna.
According to Blue Cross for Pets, a UK animal charity, there’s no cure for the poisoning, and exposure nearly always leads to death in dogs. Drinking from a body of water where blue-green algae lurks or licking it off fur can kill a dog within 15 minutes of exposure.