Tue. Mar 31st, 2020

71 More Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In LA County, One Additional Death

One day after officials issued a stronger stay-at- home order that prohibits all public and private gatherings, Los Angeles County saw its largest one-day jump yet in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 71 more patients and one additional death reported. 

Meanwhile, the public was being urged to follow social distancing guidelines when enjoying the outdoors, as large crowds were seen at Southland beaches and hiking trails during California’s first weekend under the governor’s shutdown order to slow the spread of the virus.

The latest fatality — the county’s fifth — was a person older than 65 who lived in Culver City, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

The department has now identified 409 confirmed cases of COVID-19, across all areas of the county. Officials said Sunday that 12 cases reported earlier were not L.A. County residents. So far, 84 patients have been hospitalized.

“We are deeply sorry for the passing of loved ones and send our prayers to the families and friends of those who have died from COVID-19,” said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Los Angeles County Public Health Director. “It is critical that everyone practices social distancing, obey the Safer at Home Health Officer Order and assume that anyone can have COVID-19, and anyone could unintentionally infect others. Please know that the actions you take today to stay 6 feet away from others and limit all non-essential activities outside your home are the best way for us to slow the spread of COVID-19 and save lives.”

You can follow us on social media at www.twitter.com/HighlightHwd or on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Highlight-Hollywood/193119760769011

Written By: Tommy Lightfoot Garrett

Photographs are Courtesy:  AP

Follow us on Twitter @HighlightHwd or @LightfootinHwd