Twitter under pressure is becoming fed up with racist in chief and tonight has placed a public interest notice on a tweet from President Trump about continued protests in Minneapolis following the death of George Floyd, a black man, in police custody.
Trump’s tweet said: “These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”
The social media giant’s notice said that the tweet “violated the Twitter rules about glorifying violence. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the tweet to remain accessible.”
The notice comes amid this week’s showdown between Twitter and Trump who on Thursday signed an executive order aimed at removing some of the legal protections given to social media platforms.
Twitter’s policy of adding a warning to, rather than deleting, tweets that break its rules when it comes to major public figures was unveiled in mid-2019. The notice means that other users can not like, reply, or retweet Trump’s post. However, a retweet is still possible with a comment attached.
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey earlier in the week reaffirmed the company’s commitment to fact check information related to elections despite a fierce reaction from the Trump administration over a pair of Trump’s tweets that were flagged as misleading on the platform.
You can follow us on social media at www.twitter.com/HighlightHwd
Written By: Tommy Lightfoot Garrett
Photographs are Courtesy: AP
Follow us on Twitter @HighlightHwd or @LightfootinHwd